Hawaii Adventure Day 4--Our 10th Anniversary

Happy 10 years KT! We had a great breakfast thinking about 10 years...fun, stretching, growing, laughter, crying, changes, moving, girls, excitement, losses, ups, break-downs and chatting about how through all the craziness of getting married so young!! I am so proud of Kory and the husband he is to me. He does a great job looking out for me and being the provider and protector of our family!


I finally got my day today...doing nothing pool side! Yeah! I brought all my unread magazines with wild anticipation of this moment. I slapped on some sunscreen, donned my shades and settled in for pure R&R. It was glorious.
UNTIL--Kory learned we could take free scuba lessons in the scuba pool and if you pass the class you can go into the ocean and they will dive to 25 feet. OK--anyone who knows me (or have read) knows that I am sure all creatures in the murky deep are out to eat me. But scuba in the pool...I can totally do that. So we signed up and I regretfully left the pool.


We sat through a 30 minute scuba lesson and then geared up in full wet suits, goggles, vests, tanks and all the hoses and gear I could carry. We got into the 3 foot end of the pool and started to slowly getting use to the weight of the gear and breathing under water. The goal in baby end of the 3 foot scuba pool was to drop to your knees and then lay flat on the bottom to practice clearing your ears. We had to perform the skill of taking out your regulator (life support--anxiety building) and also how to put it back in, in case it gets knocked out under water.(what--anxiety building) In order to "earn" a chance to get into the ocean you also had to drop your regulator and take the instructors spare regulator and breath off his tank. This is in case you run out of air? (run out? anxiety building) Then you move on to the 10 foot end of the scuba pool and repeat the skills.
Ok-3 foot. I get in, breathing shallow and anticipating death. I am 5'9, well over 3 foot. Right? So I put the regulator in and just standing up have trouble calming myself. HELLO-- loser you are in the 3 foot pool, and to make matter worse there were two 9 year old kids in our group that were apparently raised as mermaids. I drop to my knees...all I hear is dodo.....dodo......dodon...
dodon....doodoon...DODODDOOONNNNN. I am not kidding I have never felt so out of control and frightened out of my gourd. I am sure I was the first person who was actually going to drown in the 3 foot pool. After the embarrassing realization that I could stand up to save myself I surfaced.
You know that point at the beginning of an embarrassing break down...as long as no one talks to me I can pull myself together and no one will be the wiser. Well I was lingering on the edge, the scuba instructor surfaced and asked if everything was ok. I opened my mouth to talk and apparently my tear ducks caught a cross signal and I totally started crying. Did I tell you I am in the 3 foot pool? I am such a nerd. Kory surfaced and hugged me which made it even worse. Nerd! So my scuba experience was less than magical and I was thankful to be done. Kory however was a pro. He loved it. He performed all the skills and was invited to go into the deep end and even the ocean. No one in our group wanted to do the ocean dive so Kory got to go one-on-one with the instructor on a 90 minute dive. I hear it was amazing. He said it was like Finding Nemo down there. The coral was massive and beautiful. He spotted and eel, octopus, 7 sea turtles with one as tall as he was, tons of fish and he even got to hold a bunch of different kinds of sea urchants. He had a blast! I however was thankful to be back at the pool with my magazines!


We beached it for the rest of the afternoon and then got all fancy for our anniversary dinner celebration. The resort when we checked in gave us a $25 gift certificate for out anniversary and then HiltonHonors gave us a $40 gift certificate so we thought we would go all out! The restaurants on the property are super nice. We choose to eat at Humuhumunukunukuapua'a. That is the actual name, I am not even trying to be funny. We sat at a cozy table with a beautiful view of the ocean and the sunset. We ordered surf and turf. The steak was one of the best I have ever had. The tables were super close together so we meet the mother and daughter that were next to us. They were so nice to us and bought us this super fancy dessert, with Happy Anniversary written in chocolate. It was a total shock. WOW. What a fun blessing to get a present from strangers! The cool thing is the restaurant thought it was so great that they choose to treat us with a dessert that they brought one for them as a blessing from the restaurant! It was a great example of given and it shall be given unto you! The sunset was beautiful that night and we ended our day with a stroll on the beach.

The point is...It was a perfect day except for my near death experience! I was not created to breath underwater or God would have given me gills!

0 Comments: