Don't leave Daddy unattended too long...


As is tradition, we do a bunch of clothes shopping here in Arkansas on vaca. Kory and the girls can only tolerate a small amount of fitting rooms and sale racks before they are waving the white flag. This morning when Mom and I were ready to head out for shopping extravaganza, Kory and the girls decided to stay home.
It was to be a beautiful day--perfect for more bike riding practice for Madie and tagging along for Jenna. Good call Kory on bringing their bikes.
Madie is still super wiggly and prefers the safety of the training wheels. So, I left for the day with Madie on a little Dora bike that is way too small for her. We have a much bigger bike for her, but at the very mention of the bike she gets teary and scared. Jenna has named her bike honker. She will tell me--I want to ride honker. So cute! She loves her squeezer bike horn. (wheeee haw)
I called Kory about 9 pm (I told you long day of shopping) and he acted super weird. He insisted I call him about 5 minutes away from the condo and pull into the open parking lot by the club house. He is pretty sneaky so I wasn't sure what to expect.
We pull up, he rolls down the van window and Jenna says--Announcing Madie Kilbourne. Then Kory sticks his head out and whistles. Then to the amazement of my eyes Madie is on a big new bike, suited up from head to toe, and riding like a pro. WOW! I had to jump out of the car and cheer! She was so excited and had a grin on from ear to ear!
I guess the story goes like this--
Madie and Jenna got tired of riding in the parking lot here and they decided to go to the walking path/park nearby for some new scenery. As an added bonus to sooth a few wipe-out scrapes they stopped on the way at Dairy Queen! Kory claims he got them kiddy cones...looks giant to me?
Madie quickly mastered bike riding on the walking trail and the training wheels were removed. At some point, Daddy decided she needed a new big bike...now. So he hauled them to Wal-Mart and picked out the best princess sparkly streamer bike they could find! He even got a great after Christmas price. He also threw in a new light up helmet, (since we bike a lot in the dark??) elbow pads, knee pads and a pair of purple sparkle fingerless racing gloves. We kinda have a pattern of going over the top on some things! They drove up to the parking lot at my 5 minute warning call and prepared for the presentation of Super Madie riding a bike!

The point is...I am sure the learning curve was faster without safety Mama their to monitor the lessons. I did kiss all the boo-boos when I got home!

2 Comments:

Kara said...

That sounds so awesome Natalie. Both the shopping day and also the coming home to your sweet daughter riding her NEW bike like a pro with her sassy new helmet and gear to boot. What a cool dad your little one has! Love the pics!

megsnbigd said...

YEAH MADIE!!! Now we have to reteach Meghann (cause she happened to forget over the fall) so you girls can ride together!!! And Nat...seriously, you guys going "over the top" I never would have guessed!?