We stayed out way to late at the Clarks party on Christmas Eve. When you and your BFFs are rocking out to guitar hero, it's super hard to watch the time. I think we should take the act on the road!
At the reminder of Santa on his way the kids were eager to pick up and get right home to bed! They were adorable as always! Madie wrote a sweet letter to remind Santa that her and Jenna were on the good list. We left out some apple juice and cookies and I tucked them in.
I LOVE the magic of Christmas. I have the greatest memories of Christmas as a kid. I still believe in Santa. I got everything in place and headed to bed hoping the girls would sleep in since they went to be super late and I went to bed way super later.
My wish was granted and they didn't begin to stir until 9. Merry Christmas! We snuggled a bit them headed out to check for evidence of Santa. He came! The stockings were stuffed, presents magically appeared and he even left ash foot prints in the house from his fireplace entrance. I will a talk with Santa about that for next year! Santa actually came for me too! There were new presents for me that appeared in the night as well. Oh, how exciting!
On the top of the girls list was the bunches of Littlest Pet Shops and their new robes. They are so fun to watch open gifts. Mom, Kory and I got to open too in between the girls turn! Kory got a bunch of cool clothes, fishing worms from Jenna, and guitar picks from Madie!
The highlight of my Christmas--I got the most thoughtful gift Kory has ever given me. You all will think this is super nerdy, but I will tell you the story so you can appreciate the gift.
In 8th grade I took a class trip to Dyersville, Iowa to visit where the Field of Dreams was filmed. Back in 8th grade felt like I was going to Hollywood! My dad took the day off work to be a driver and to spend time with me. It was so memorable. I had so much fun. I ran the bases of the field with my dad cheering me on. We took turns being the spooky guy walking out of the corn. There was nothing particularly extraordinary, it was just one of those days that stuck in my head as an amazing day with my daddy. When we were leaving my dad took me over to the small gift stand. My dad being always thoughtful offered to buy me a tee-shirt. I felt incredibly special. I was the only student who got to buy something. WOW. Thanks dad. My field of dreams shirt quickly gained the rights to be called my favorite tee shirt. I wore it all the time. It fit me just right. It was super soft. LOVED IT. Anyways you get the picture right?
After my daddy went to heaven I wanted to do something really special with his favorite shirts. I couldn't just give them away and let the memories go. I carefully picked through his clothes and choose his favorite shirts and I decided to make a memory quilt. It's an amazing way to savor his memory with keeping pieces of his favorite stuff. I kept it for 2 years before I could bring myself to make it and actually cut his clothes up. So I was in the layout phase of the quilt and I felt like it was missing something. I ran up to my room and got my Field of Dreams tee shirt. So 8th grade was 1994--I made the quilt in 2005. I was still wearing my Field of Dreams tee shirt 11 years later. (thankfully I haven't grown since 8th grade!) It was showing clear signs of being well loved and I figured I had 2 choices. 1. Add it to the quilt to preserve the tee shirt before it falls apart or 2. keep wearing it and cherishing it until it falls apart. With tears in my eyes I cut the shirt and added it to daddy's quilt, right in the center. It's the only piece of the quilt that's not daddy's clothes. I love it on the quilt. It is a great way to preserve my daddys memory! Kory and my mom couldn't believe that I actually cut it and added it to the quilt. My mom cried when she saw the shirt on the quilt. (so did I)
A year or so ago in a random restaurant I saw a grandma with my Field of Dreams tee shirt on. I was so excited to see it and pointed it out to Kory at least 28 times!! I was so sure it was super old, there is no way the same tee shirt was in print 14 years later!
Fast Forward To Christmas Morning...
There was a special gift set aside that said--Natie open first. There has been a few douse Christmas gifts so I was not expecting anything even close to this kind of greatness! I started tearing into the paper and unwrapped a white envelope. I turned it over and the return address was the Field of Dreams. It was one of those super shocking surprise speechless open mouth moments for me. I opened the envelope and immediately burst into tears. It's my 8th grade tee shirt that my daddy bought me. The exact one.

Kory--I am not kidding when I say that is the most thoughtful gift you have ever given me. Thank you so much! It was shocking and I never expected it. It was the highlight of my entire Christmas.

We got the giggles and had a good laugh that Kory bought me a Large. He blames the lady over the phone. Apparently she talked him into a large, I have never been a large. He knows this too. He is a large. We don't wear the same shirts. It made it fun and a great Kory memory that he bought me a large! He did offer to keep the large for himself and order me a small. Does anyone think this was a premeditated plan? I love you Sweetheart!
The point is...We all laughed that the shirt daddy bought me in 8th grade still fit me as an adult married 10 years with 2 kids. I'll take it as a compliment now at almost 30, but in 8th grade I was clearly awkward.
2 Comments:
Oh gosh, that made me cry! And to think that such a memory was sitting on top of my fridge for at least a month. I had no idea it was such an honored white envelope...Kudos to Kory and I'm so thrilled for you!
Ok, I'm crying now. That is the BEST Christmas gift story!!
Post a Comment