You must run to the bookstore and get The Shack.
Don't worry I won't spoil the book in this post!
My mom over Christmas bought the book The Shack at Sams Club. ($9.98 totally worth it) She read it the week we were in Bella Vista and every so often would pause to take a deep breath or even to put it down since she couldn't see through her tears. She insisted that I read it and sent it home with me, I obliged knowing I had no time after the holiday burn out.
Flash Forward to Tuesday the 6th. Since my van was way over due for an oil change I headed to Jiffy Lube after I dropped Jenna at Preschool with The Shack in tow. Thankfully they were running behind and I got to read 45 minutes in total peace. Well, beside the occasional chat of dirty filters and dust bunnies attacking me it was peaceful!
At first I thought I'd have to stop reading the book. I never watch the news. I can't handle any of the shows on TV that show people hurting people especially when children are being hurt. I pushed past my fears fully knowing that I was reading my own worst nightmare. When you're at that point...keep reading.
I was released from Jiffy Lube and headed to the mall on the great jean search since my favorite jeans are wearing out. However rather than getting out of the van at the mall I just sat in the car for the next hour and a half reading this book that was glued to my fingers. I felt like a nerd sitting in the cold car for so long but the total silence was worth it! I dig solitude!
I was sitting at Jenna's school by 3 and on time to grab Madie and the carpool by 3:40, but other than that if I was not cooking dinner, bathing children or otherwise detained I was reading the book and finished about 11pm.
I was so overflowing with new thoughts about God and his amazing love and grace that I was wired. I have never read anything that gave me a better sense that all God craves is our relationship. I feel like I understand so much more about the grace and compassion of a Savior that would give his life for us. It made it tangible and simple to have a relationship with God that is as simple as a best friend free of religion and ritual. In its simplest form God made us for a purpose and even though life happens around us with terrible tragedies he is always with us ready to comfort us. He is waiting for ME to come to him. WOW.
I finally settle into bed at about midnight with wild ideas of actually meeting Jesus face to face in my head. Which at midnight in a dark house when you are scared of the boogie man can seem slightly unnerving. But it's Jesus right? I am sure he would never hide behind the door and jump out with a scary mask on just to say "got ya"...right? Anyways with one eye open I drifted off into a restless night of sleep tossing and turning to the ideas in my head.
The next thing I know...Madie is tapping me on the arm saying, "Mommy, I think it's time to wake up." For those who know us, my girls never get up early. We have trained them since babies to sleep in. So I immediately knew if Madie was waking me something was wrong. I had that startling moment when you jolt out of bed so hard that you pull a muscle only to realize that I've over slept. Yuck.
We usually are up by 7. Well, set the alarm for 7 get up more like 7:25. The bus rolls down the hill at 8 on the nose. It's 9:30. Madie is already over an hour late for school. So, we took our time had a great breakfast and arrived fashionably late at 10:45.
The point is...It may seem cliche to say that the book is life changing, especially when it's theologically not 100% correct it's a novel for pete sake, but read it and pay attention to how God reached down to heal, restore and give amazing grace. It just may change your perceptions too. What a fantastic page turner!
Wednesday, January 07, 2009
|
Labels:
Nat the Nerd
|
Subscribe to be emailed when I blog!
About Me
My Blog List
-
-
-
Daddy Daughter Dance12 years ago
-
5 years today!!!13 years ago
-
You know, just your ordinary day13 years ago
-
Sunday Happenings13 years ago
-
Basic steps for how to alter a t-shirt14 years ago
-
34...15 years ago
-
The Great Mistake15 years ago
-
MIA No More15 years ago
-
-
Casey's Testimony16 years ago
-
-
-
-
-






4 Comments:
I LOVE this book! I'm reading it right now! I so wish I had a solid day to devour it but my kids are too little and there is no alone time to be had! :)
Dan's been wanting me to read it. I'm simply not sure I'm strong enough to face my demons.
I am SO waiting for David to hurry up and finish it so I can start it. Thanks for getting me excited about it again!!!
I haven't even heard of this book but it sounds like a good one. A really good one I just finished is called Recovering Charles by Jason F. Wright. I think it's one you would like.
Post a Comment