College and Petland




Madie's mind has been working hard at figuring out College life and entering the work force. Here are some conversations we have recently had.

Madie: How much does it cost to get a job at Petland?

Me: It doesn't cost anything. You just go in and interview and if they like you they give you a job and start paying you.

Madie: (overwhelmed with joy) You mean they pay YOU! I thought you had to pay someone to work at their store! WOW. Whats an interview?

Me: You have to go and talk to the manager of the store and they ask you all sorts of questions to see if you would be right for the job. Like...How many hours do would you work a day?

Madie: 12

Me: Great. Do you know anything about Lizards?

Madie: Yes, I am not afraid to pick them up.


Me: Can you help people with puppies if they want to get one out?

Madie: Oh, yes! That would be my favorite job. I'm really good with puppies.

Me: What if they poop of pee and you have to clean it up.

Madie: I guess I will just plug my nose and try not to touch it!

Me: You're hired!


She also came home from school and told me that she has decided that her and Kate (a buddy from school) will be going to the same college and be room mates. Which means, she will move out of the house and live at school. Althouth very concerned with college homework, she is thinking it is not a good thing to live at your school. Maybe teachers will come by your room and drop off homework? Maybe she'll live at home! (yipee) And with much persuasion she has convinced Kate to work at Petland too.

Madie: I finally convinced Kate to work at Petland with me, but she does not like snakes, spiders, and lizards. I am going to have to teach her about them so she can get an interview.

Me: That is really kind of you to look after Kate.

Madie: There is one big problem though...(sigh and pause) I have not exactly told her about the poop cleaning thing. I am not sure how to discuss it with her. It's going to be tough.

The point is...I hate cleaning up poop too.

2 Comments:

mom buehler said...

Madie, I love this story! Do you know Nanny grew up in a Pet Shop!! When I was a kid, we had a Pet Shop in my house! I loved it 90% of the time, and it was the poop kind of stuff that I did not like! My favorite was our money, Suzy! She was wonderful - except when she got mad or too excited - guess what - when she would throw poop at you! Oh My! So I really had to keep Suzy's cage clean!! It was lots of work - and I never got paid - it was my life job! But I did love ever mouse, hamster, bird, fish, snake, snail, lizard, rat, guinea pig, cat or dog that we ever got! I knew it was my job to love them while they did not have a home - and you remind me of that loving spirit that every animal needs! I love you, God has made you soo special, He has incredible plans for you. Listen to Him - He will let you know. I love you the mostest!! Nanny Buehler

Marti Jo said...

Oh I can just hear this conversation between you two. How funny! I love how innocent kids are about the grown up world! It's great! :o)