So Madie misses a few days of school?!

About a week and a half into school we pulled Madie out of school for a field trip to Washington D.C. What kid gets to do this stuff. I picked her up on Monday 10 minutes early and we caught a 4:30 flight to MEM then a flight to D.C. Kory picked us up in the airport and off we were to the hotel. Kory had a 48 hr. layover there. Since that never happens we thought we should take advantage of it.
On Tuesday we got up early and took the hotel shuttle back to the airport so we could catch the train! What fun. I LOVE the big city commuting! We headed straight for the mall and the Smithsonian. We went to the Museum of Natural History first. This was amazing. The most beautiful display of every thinkable animal. We also hit it on a very great day since the butterfly place was FREE! This was the highlight of the girls day. It was a lot like the Butterfly Palace in Branson. Super Fun!
We then headed to the Air and Space Museum, which I am sure you can guess was Korys favorite! There were some great planes there and I actually learned some new things about the history of flying. The History museum was next. How fascinating. We saw the first American flag ever made. It is huge and very protected. It kinda made me sentimental when I think about all out country went through and still goes through in the name of freedom.
We also saw some of the first ladies inauguration dresses. I loved this part, and Kory made it clear he wasn't into it! It was like a fashion lesson through time. Loved it.
We had a perfect day for walking so we headed to the Washington Monument and trotted our way to the White House. I always thought the White House was in wide open space, but it is smack dab in the city with buildings and people all around. The camera angles make it seem as though it is in the country. I felt duped. It was a sight non the less.
If you ask the girls what their favorite part of D.C. was they will tell you the White House squirrel. There was a little cute squirrel that would sneak outside the gates of the White House and eat Fritos out of the girls hands. It was adorable. I think the squirrel is incredibly smart.
We headed back to the hotel and caught the 7 am flight back to MEM then onto Springfield. Madie was back in school for lunch on Wednesday! What a great mini trip!

The point is...If I was a Squirrel I would totally live at the White House!

0 Comments: